Marylanders may need help with their health insurance before or after enrolling through Maryland Health Connection.
Keep this guide handy or download and print (PDF) so you can easily look up where to direct consumers’ concerns.
If a constituent wants to:
Enroll in a health or dental plan, or report household or income changes:
- Call Maryland Health Connection at 1-855-642-8572 (Deaf and hard of hearing use Relay service)
- Find free, local help from a health insurance navigator or broker: MarylandHealthConnection.gov/help
- The annual open enrollment period is in the fall. Many people can get coverage through Maryland Health Connection at any time of year, including those who qualify for Medicaid or who have recently experienced certain changes in their household or income.
Ask a question about their bill, make insurance billing or payment changes, get help with cancellation of health coverage due to nonpayment and/or find out if a specific medical treatment is covered:
- Contact their insurance company (additional instructions and contact information are provided in our complete payment guide)
File a grievance or formal protest regarding a decision already made, such as appealing an eligibility determination made by Maryland Health Connection:
- Email the MHBE Appeals Unit: email@example.com
- More information on appeals: MarylandHealthConnection.gov/appeals
Seek help escalating an enrollment issue after a consumer has tried unsuccessfully to resolve with Maryland Health Connection and/or file a complaint regarding Maryland Health Connection, such as consumers who report that they weren’t helped properly:
- Email the complaint to the MHBE Constituent Services Unit: firstname.lastname@example.org
This email address is designated for legislators, government agencies, the Maryland Insurance Administration and the Governor’s office to reach Maryland Health Benefit Exchange with consumer-related issues.
Contest a denial of coverage of health services that an insurance company deemed unnecessary:
- Call the Health Education and Advocacy Unit (HEAU) of the Attorney General’s Office at 1-877-261-8807.
- Learn more about a consumer’s rights when an insurance carrier will not pay for services at MarylandHealthConnection.gov/appeals
File a complaint about the result of an appeal of a denial of coverage and/or file a complaint about a health insurance carrier:
- Contact Maryland Insurance Administration at 1-800-492-6116 or www.insurance.maryland.gov
Inquire about the status of Medicaid enrollment or renewal:
- Call Maryland Health Connection at 1-855-642-8572 or a local Department of Social Services or local health department
Inquire about the status of document verifications:
- Call Maryland Health Connection at 1-855-642-8572
Inquire about tax-related issues for tax forms 1095-A or 1095-B:
- Consumers who haven’t received a 1095-A or -B tax form should call Maryland Health Connection at 1-855-642-8572.
- Consumers should contact a local IRS office in Maryland or call 1-800-829-1040 for help with a federal tax return, Form 8962 or Form 8965
- Learn more about exemptions from the penalty for not having coverage
- Learn more about federal taxes and forms for Marylanders enrolled through Maryland Health Connection or Medicaid at MarylandHealthConnection.gov/taxes
Enroll in the Qualified Medicare Beneficiary Program or the Specified Low-Income Medicare Beneficiary Program:
- Contact the local department of Social Services office: mydhrbenefits.dhr.state.md.us
Allegany County: 301-784-7000
Anne Arundel County: 410-269-4600
Baltimore City: 443-378-4600
Baltimore County: 410-853-3000
Calvert County: 443-550-6999
Caroline County: 410-819-4500
Carroll County: 410-386-3300
Cecil County: 410-996-0306
Charles County: 301-392-6600
Dorchester County: 410-901-4141
Frederick County: 301-600-4555
Garrett County: 301-533-3000
Harford County: 410-836-4955
Howard County: 410-872-8260
Kent County: 410-810-7600
Montgomery County: 240-777-1266
Prince George’s County: 301-209-5000
Queen Anne’s County: 410-758-8000
St. Mary’s County: 240-895-7000
Somerset County: 410-677-4330
Talbot County: 410-770-4848
Washington County: 240-420-2120
Wicomico County: 410-713-3900
Worcester County: 410-677-6806
About “The Classroom”
“The Classroom” is Maryland Health Connection’s blog for its consumer assistance community, including navigators, authorized brokers, certified application counselors, caseworkers and call center staff. Check here for updates on training, website releases, new tools, and other helpful information as you help get Marylanders covered through the health insurance marketplace.
We encourage you to also subscribe to “The Connection” blog on MarylandHealthConnection.gov, which provides consumer-friendly information and updates. Be sure to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!
To suggest topics for The Classroom, email email@example.com.