Your top five questions, answered

1) Who is part of my “household” when applying for health coverage?

When you apply for health coverage through Maryland Health Connection, the “household” on your application generally includes the people you put on your tax form, even if not everyone needs coverage.

When filling out your application, include:

      • Yourself
      • Your spouse
      • Your children who live with you, even if they make enough money to file a tax return themselves
      • Your unmarried partner who needs health coverage
      • Anyone you include on your tax return as a dependent, even if they don’t live with you
      • Any relative under 21 who you take care of and lives with you.

Still not sure who to include? Get more details here.

2) How do I renew my Medicaid coverage?

If you were notified that you need to renew Medicaid coverage (or if it has been almost a year since you last enrolled in Medicaid) and:

If you already have an account at

      • Log into your account and click “Report a Change” to update your information.
      • Select that you need to report losing health coverage in the next 60 days.
      • Proceed through the rest of the application and update any information that has changed since you last applied.
      • If you are determined eligible for Medicaid, be sure to select your program as “Medicaid” (or you can choose to enroll in a qualified health plan for full cost)
      • Complete additional Medicaid questions, if required
      • Click Proceed to Enrollment

Watch our quick video for an example!

If you don’t have an account yet at

After you renew your Medicaid, be sure to check your account’s “My Inbox” tab to see if any additional documents are needed to verify your information, and provide these as soon as possible.

(NOTE: There are different renewal instructions for people who are older than 65 and aren’t a parent or caretaker relative of a minor child, or who are blind, disabled, living in a nursing facility or are a current foster child.)

3) What income should I include in my application?

If you’d like to apply for financial help to lower the cost of your health coverage, you’ll need to estimate your income for the year you want coverage.

Your household income includes income for:

      • You and your spouse, if you are married and will file a joint tax return
      • Any dependents who make enough money to be required to file a tax return

Include earning sources such as:

      • Income from your job
      • Net income from any self-employment or business
      • Unemployment income
      • Social Security payments (including disability payments but not Supplemental Security Income)
      • Alimony

Learn more here about what income to include, and deductions you may claim.

If you’re not sure what your income will be for the year, or if it changes often, when you apply through Maryland Health Connection, often a good place to start is to consider what your income is this year, or what income you reported on your tax return last year.

If you experience a change in income during the year from what you estimated, you should report it to Maryland Health Connection because it may change the coverage or savings you’re eligible for.

4) If I need to verify income, how do I upload an income affidavit?

If you were notified that you need to verify income listed in your application, log into your account at Click on the “My Inbox” tab, where you will see a link to submit documents.

For each document:                    

      • Select “Verifications” in the Document Category dropdown and select the type of document you are providing in the dropdown
      • Select the household member for which the document applies                                    
      • Provide additional information if necessary                                                                 
      • Click “Browse” and select the document file from your computer, and click “Open.”
      • To add another document, click the “Add Another Document” link.
      • When you’re finished, click “Submit” to submit your documents     

Common documents used to verify income include:

      • Most recent pay stubs (two weekly; two biweekly; or one monthly)
      • Tax records or returns
      • Unemployment Award Notice
      • Business records
      • Statement of Projected Earnings

If you currently do not have income of any kind, you can sign and upload the Affidavit of Current Income.

If you are self-employed and don’t have additional documents to verify your income, you can sign and upload the Affidavit of Self-Employment Income.

See other documents that can be used to verify income.

5) What documents are acceptable for proving citizenship?

If you were notified that you need to verify citizenship or other information for you or someone in your household, we have a list of acceptable documents here.

Common documents to verify citizenship are:

      • U.S. Passport
      • Certificate of U.S. Citizenship
      • Certificate of Naturalization
      • Native American tribal documents

OR one of the documents below, which must also be accompanied by proof of identity:

    • U.S. Public Birth Certificate
    • Certification of Report of Birth
    • Certification of Birth Abroad
    • Adoption papers showing the person’s name and U.S. place of birth