Tax Forms You Need to Know

It’s that time of year again – time to prepare your taxes.

taxesIf you were enrolled in a Qualified Health Plan through Maryland Health Connection at any time in 2015, you will receive Form 1095-A in the mail and in your online account. This IRS tax form serves as proof that you met the requirement under the Affordable Care Act to have health insurance coverage, and it also helps ensure you received the right amount of tax credit for your coverage last year.

You will use this form to complete IRS Form 8962 (Premium Tax Credit) when you file your taxes. Make sure to wait until you receive Form 1095-A to file your 2015 federal income tax return.

The first thing you should do is check to make sure ALL of the information on the form is correct. Verify the names of household members enrolled, their information, and dates they had health coverage. If you believe the information shown on your Form 1095-A is wrong (or if you need another copy of the form), please call us at 1-855-642-8572 (Deaf and hard of hearing use Relay service).

If you received tax credits in 2015 through Maryland Health Connection, you must file a federal income tax return, even if you’re not otherwise required to file one.

Marylanders enrolled in Medicaid

If you or a member of your household received health coverage through other programs or plans like Medicaid or the Maryland Children’s Health Program (MCHP) during 2015, you will receive a new tax form, IRS Form 1095-B. You do not need to send this form to the IRS when filing your 2015 taxes, if you file taxes. Just keep this form for your records.

Ways to get help

You can find more information, FAQs and helpful guides now at

If you need free help filing your taxes, visit to find assistance near you.