Insurance Producers play a critical role in ensuring that Marylanders have access to affordable health care insurance options. Producers are key partners to help individuals and small businesses get access to plans offered on Maryland Health Connection. Whether you are already a part of our Authorized Producer program or would like to join, this is your one-stop source of the information and tools you need.
Authorized Producer Overview
The Maryland Health Benefit Exchange understands the importance of insurance producers to the general public. As trained and licensed professionals, insurance producers are the only consumer assistance workers who are qualified to advise their clients on enrolling in a plan that is best suited to their needs. The Maryland Health Benefit Exchange values the partnership of the producer community and looks forward to improving that partnership every day.
Click here to see a list of all current Authorized Producers. This list is updated weekly.
The Maryland Health Benefit Exchange operates two markets: one for individuals and families and the other for small businesses (Small Business Health Options Program, or SHOP). Producers may choose to operate in the individual market, in the SHOP market, or in both.
Captive Producers are those who work for a single carrier in the individual market. These producers are bound by additional regulations compared with other producers. For more information about Captive Producers, see the Authorized Producer Manual.
Producers receive compensation from insurance carriers for sales of insurance plans offered on Maryland Health Connection. As producers assist individuals and small businesses with enrollment in Maryland Health Connection insurance plans, the system transmits producer data to carriers to allow them to calculate and distribute compensation as they do on the outside market today.
Become an Authorized Producer
A Licensed Health Producer may apply as long as the following criteria is met:
- Holds a current license issued by the Maryland Insurance Commissioner that qualifies the Producer to sell health benefits in Maryland
- Maintains a sufficient level of Errors and Omissions (E&O) coverage, to be determined by the exchange, and provides current proof of coverage to MHBE
- Is not excluded from participation in federal health programs
- Is not barred from state contracts
- Agrees to present all plans from all participating carriers and disclose appointment status to consumers; this does not apply to captive producers.
- Agrees to adhere to privacy and security standards established by the MHBE
- Agrees to work cooperatively with Connector Entities/Navigators, as applicable
- Agrees to immediately report concerns or complaints from employers, employees or individual consumers to the appropriate agency in a timely manner
- Agrees to complete retraining education i.e., at least eight hours of MHBE-approved continuing education per renewal term.
Both resident and non-resident producers are eligible to apply.
Producer Training & Requirements
A producer must complete the Producer Authorization training in order to become an Authorized Producer. Only training offered by MHBE will be accepted for authorization. Training for the Federal Exchange or other State Exchanges cannot be substituted in lieu of the Maryland Health Benefit Exchange Producer Authorization training.
Producers will receive detailed training instructions. Depending on the producer’s requested authorization status, the producer will be required to complete one or more of the following courses. While some producers may not be required to complete every courses, they may choose to do so since the courses contain valuable information. All the modules listed below will be available in an online, self-directed format for producers to complete at their own pace.
Module: Producer (IND/SHOP) Pre-Authorization Training 18-19 –New Staff
Module: Simplifying SHOP: Broker Tool & Marketing Techniques
Module: 2018 SHOP Overview
Module: 2018 Annual Training Returning Producer Individual & SHOP
Module: Post 2018 Annual Training Compliance – Producers
Producer Tools & Resources