Maryland Health Connection offers a new option for consumers who have been determined eligible for Medicaid to choose and enroll in a Managed Care Organization (MCO) online.
Once consumers are found eligible for Medicaid through their Maryland Health Connection application and complete any outstanding VCLs, they may enroll in an MCO to receive health care services. Previously, MCO-eligible Medicaid recipients had to wait to receive a packet in the mail to choose an MCO, which delayed their enrollment.
Maryland Medicaid MCOs
- AMERIGROUP Community Care
- JAI Medical Systems
- Kaiser Permanente
- Maryland Physicians Care
- MedStar Family Choice
- Priority Partners
- University of Maryland Health Partners (formerly Riverside Health of Maryland)
Help Consumers Select an MCO
Each eligible consumer in the household can select an MCO. Consumers have 28 days to select one or they will be automatically assigned to an MCO in their area. Consumers who do not select an MCO will get a reminder notice in the mail seven days after they were determined eligible.
After the consumer chooses an MCO, they may not change MCOs before the begin date.
An enrollee may change their MCO selection for any reason within the first 90 days of initial enrollment, and also may change their MCO in select circumstances, such as combining all household members or children into the same MCO, or if the consumer moved and their current MCO does not provide service in the county where they now live.
There are several ways a consumer can choose their MCO and primary care doctor:
- Visit MarylandHealthConnection.gov and log into their online account.
- Download our free mobile app, Enroll MHC.
- Call us at 1-855-642-8572 (Deaf and hard of hearing use Relay service).
- Request an enrollment kit be mailed to them (a consumer can do so in their online account or by calling us).
There are three tools you can use to assist a consumer in choosing an MCO.
- The HealthChoice MCO Comparison Chart (PDF) helps consumers understand the differences between MCOs.
- The MCO Report Card (PDF, available in English and Spanish) is published annually and helps individuals understand MCO performance.
- The provider search tool allows individuals to search for a doctor by name, specialty, location, or MCO. Consumers can choose their MCO based on which doctor they’d prefer to be treated by.
Only certain consumer assistance workers may provide online assistance. A pop-up box in the application tells consumers and workers that Navigators, Producers, and CACs may not assist with online plan selection. However, these workers can help a consumer elect to receive their enrollment packet by mail or provide a warm hand-off to the Maryland Health Connection call center or the LHD or LDSS in the consumer’s area.
There also are new training modules in the MHBE Training Portal on assisting a consumer with MCO selection: MCO Selection System Training and Selecting an MCO- Policy Training for More Details. These training materials give additional information about who can offer what assistance to MCO consumers.
About “The Classroom”
“The Classroom” is Maryland Health Connection’s blog for its consumer assistance community, including navigators, authorized brokers, certified application counselors, caseworkers and call center staff. Check here for updates on training, website releases, new tools, and other helpful information as you help get Marylanders covered through the health insurance marketplace.
We encourage you to also subscribe to “The Connection” blog on MarylandHealthConnection.gov, which provides consumer-friendly information and updates. Be sure to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!
For questions on this topic or to suggest additional topics for The Classroom, email email@example.com.