The annual Open Enrollment period isn’t the only time you can sign up for health coverage or change plans: You can enroll any time of year if you’ve had a major life event like getting married or having a baby, or after other changes like losing your health coverage.
Whether you’re already enrolled or need to get coverage, you may be able to sign up through a Special Enrollment Period if you’ve experienced one of the qualifying events listed below. Be sure to tell us about the change and pick your plan within 60 days.
You can apply or make changes to your application at MarylandHealthConnection.gov (use the “Report a Change” button in your account), or call us at 1-855-642-8572 (TTY: Deaf and Hard of Hearing use Relay service.) to determine if you are eligible to enroll.
Life events and circumstances outside of Open Enrollment that may allow you to enroll or change your current coverage include:
- Getting married or divorced
- Certain changes in income
- Moving to or from Maryland (as well as certain moves within the state)
- A change in your disability status
- Gaining or losing a dependent
- Certain losses of other health coverage
- Examples include becoming ineligible for Medicaid or MCHP, your employer ending coverage, COBRA coverage period ends, or leaving a job that provides coverage. It’s important to know that this doesn’t include your plan being terminated because you didn’t pay your premium.
- Turning 26 years old if you are enrolled in coverage through your family’s plan
- Having a baby, adopting a child, or placing a child for adoption or in foster care.
When does coverage begin?
For most life events, if you qualify for a Special Enrollment Period to change plans and report your new plan selection to Maryland Health Connection between the 1st and the 15th of the month, your coverage will begin on the 1st of the following month.
If you report your new plan selection to Maryland Health Connection between the 16th and the last day of a month, your coverage will begin on the 1st of the next following month. For example, if you select your plan July 16, your coverage begin Sept. 1.
For more information, head to MarylandHealthConnection.gov.