A note for CAWs and CSRs
Open enrollment extension means that consumers have until midnight on Friday, Dec. 22, to shop and select a plan for 2018. However, due to timing issues, you and your consumers should be aware of the following.
- Depending on the date of plan enrollment, the consumer may receive his/her premium bill in late December/early January.
- Depending on the date of plan enrollment, the consumer may receive two bills – one for the initial plan selection or passive renewal, and another for the new selection a little later.
- For enrollments after Dec. 15, consumers should have 15 days from the date the carrier’s invoice is produced to pay January coverage timely, even if that date is after Jan. 1.
- After enrollment consumers may contact the carrier call centers or visit carrier websites to pay their first month’s premium, often before they receive their bill by mail.
- Depending on when the premium bill is paid, the consumer might receive her member card later in January. If a consumer needs to use services before the card is received, they may be able to print out a card from the carrier’s website.
Please email any questions to Heather Forsyth, email@example.com.
About “The Classroom”
“The Classroom” is Maryland Health Connection’s blog for its consumer assistance community, including navigators, authorized brokers, certified application counselors, caseworkers and call center staff. Check here for updates on training, website releases, new tools, and other helpful information as you help get Marylanders covered through the health insurance marketplace.
We encourage you to also subscribe to “The Connection” blog on MarylandHealthConnection.gov, which provides consumer-friendly information and updates. Be sure to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!
For questions on this topic or to suggest additional topics for The Classroom, email firstname.lastname@example.org.