Insurance Producers play a critical role in ensuring that Marylanders have access to affordable health care insurance options. Producers are key partners to help individuals and small businesses get access to plans offered on Maryland Health Connection. Whether you are already a part of our Authorized Producer program or would like to join, this is your one-stop source of the information and tools you need.
Authorized Producer Overview
The Maryland Health Benefit Exchange understands the importance of insurance producers to the general public. As trained and licensed professionals, insurance producers are the only consumer assistance workers who are qualified to advise their clients on enrolling in a plan that is best suited to their needs. The Maryland Health Benefit Exchange values the partnership of the producer community and looks forward to improving that partnership every day.
Click here to see a list of all current Authorized Producers. This list is updated weekly.
The Maryland Health Benefit Exchange operates two markets: one for individuals and families and the other for small businesses (Small Business Health Options Program, or SHOP). Producers may choose to operate in the individual market, in the SHOP market, or in both.
Captive Producers are those who work for a single carrier in the individual market. These producers are bound by additional regulations compared with other producers. For more information about Captive Producers, see the Authorized Producer Manual.
Producers receive compensation from insurance carriers for sales of insurance plans offered on Maryland Health Connection. As producers assist individuals and small businesses with enrollment in Maryland Health Connection insurance plans, the system transmits producer data to carriers to allow them to calculate and distribute compensation as they do on the outside market today.
Become an Authorized Producer
A Licensed Health Producer may apply as long as the following criteria is met:
- Holds a current license issued by the Maryland Insurance Commissioner that qualifies the Producer to sell health benefits in Maryland
- Maintains a sufficient level of Errors and Omissions (E&O) coverage and provides current proof of coverage to MHBE
- Is not excluded from participation in federal health programs
- Is not barred from state contracts
- Agrees to present all plans from all participating carriers and disclose appointment status to consumers; this does not apply to captive producers.
- Agrees to adhere to privacy and security standards established by the MHBE
- Agrees to work cooperatively with Connector Entities/Navigators, as applicable
- Agrees to immediately report concerns or complaints from employers, employees or individual consumers to the appropriate agency in a timely manner
- Agrees to complete retraining education i.e., at least eight hours of MHBE-approved continuing education per renewal term.
Both resident and non-resident producers are eligible to apply.
Producer Training & Requirements
Depending on your current Authorization status, you will be required to complete one or more of the following courses. While you may not be required to complete all of these courses and assessments, you may choose to do so since they contain valuable information. All the modules and assessments listed below will be available in an online, self-directed format for producers to complete at their own pace.
1. MHC_Producer_Policy_Compliance 16-17
2. MHC_Producer_Policy_Overview 16-17
3. MHC_Producer_Policy_Individual 16-17
4, MHC_Voter Registration 2016
5. MHC-Consumer Portal Online Courses for Producers_OE 16-17
6. MHC-Consumer Portal Assessments for Producers_OE 16-17
7. MHC_Producer_Policy_SHOP 16-17
Please see the chart below to determine your authorization status and required training:
Course New Producer: Individual and SHOP New Producer: Individual Only New Producer: SHOP Only Returning Producer: Individual and SHOP Returning Producer: Individual Only Returning Producer: SHOP Only MHC Producer Policy Compliance 16-17 X X X X X X MHC Producer PolicyOverview 16-17 X X X MHC Producer Policy Individual 16-17 X X MHC Producer Policy SHOP 16-17 X X MHC Voter Registration 2016 X X X X MHC Consumer Portal Online Courses for Producers OE 16-17 X X MHC Consumer Portal Assessments for Producers OE 16-17 X X X X
Producer Tools & Resources